Posted Sat, 02 Apr 2016 01:35:55 GMT by Ann Sheaffer

We are starting to evaluate making our accounting system compliant with the USALI 11th Edition.  One item that I have not had any luck determining where it should be coded are the fees the franchise charges for guest satisfaction issues.  For example, a guest writes a letter to the Franchise indicting that they had an issue with a recent stay at our hotel.  The franchise responds by saying have a free meal on your next stay, fee room, etc.  Then turns around and bills us.  Currently we are using an account in rooms labeled guest satisfaction which is neither 10th or 11th edition compliant.  


Any help or guidance that you can provide would be appreciated..

Posted Wed, 27 Apr 2016 18:20:08 GMT by Bobby Heffner HILTON GARDEN INN SOUTHPOINTE Accounting

the account # I use is guest relations in the rooms department.

Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:26:59 GMT by Christian Davis Dellisart, LLC Vice President of Accounting Services

We have used guest relations in the A&G department.

Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2018 16:52:11 GMT by Ann Sheaffer

I found the answer to the quest relations on the AHLEI (one of the groups involved in writing the 11th editions) FAQ web page.  The website address is


I have copied their answer regarding guest relations below


 I cannot find anywhere to code expense related to guest relations and service recovery (something provided to an unhappy guest). We code loyalty program point purchases on behalf of guests to a service recovery account and anything else to guest relations, both accounts in rooms department. I'm not sure what to do with these accounts. I've reviewed all departments.

A:Recovery Costs related to customer service deficiencies should be captured as a Miscellaneous Expense item in the relevant department, or Entertainment-In House if the recovery involves purchasing Food & Beverage for the customer.


I hope this information helps you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.